Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy 4th Birthday Jaimee

This last week we celebrated Jaimee's 4th Birthday on Thursday the 28th of May.  The best news came that morning when I received a phone call from my mom that Jaimee had been granted a new customized wheelchair from the efforts of our patient advocate at United Cerebral Palsy Foundation!! I was instantly in shock and bawling of course.  The interesting thing about this story is that UCP contacted several places including fighting on our behalf with Kaiser for a wheelchair but to no avail.  Thanks to Teri Lantz from UCP, advocating on our behalf, she had a contact that heard Jaimee's story and wanted to help.  We can't see this than anything other than an answer to prayer.  Thank you Mom and Teri for making this happen for Jaimee!! 

In addition to that great news, a few days earlier we had a surprise visit from Sheriff Janice Banks the Sheriff who was first on the scene while I was giving CPR to Jaimee.  She came in and assisted me and together we finally were able to get a pulse on Jaimee.  I had only been thinking about finding her the previous day not knowing what her name was but wanting to thank her for what she had done for Jaimee, keeping me calm and how she kindly handled my boys in the aftermath.  Low and behold there she was at my door!  When she saw Jaimee she became very emotional.  In all the years she has been a Sheriff she has never had to give anyone CPR so this was quite emotional for her to see this little girl alive because she wasn't sure she would make it.  Thank you Janice Banks-we are bonded for life!  

Jaimee continues to show progress.  She tries holding a sippy cup and drinking by herself.  Her eye/hand coordination continues to improve.  At one time we suspected optical damage and now she can track across the room, hold your gaze, look into another room and smile at you.  We are amazed by how she demonstrates her will to heal herself.  She practically lifts half her body up to try and sit up in her bed.  She is saying more in just the last two days-lots of giddy squeals and laughter, along with more sounds that sound like words. We continue to pray for her body and mind to heal.  Just when Jeff and I start to feel down and out it's Jaimee's hearty laughter that brings us back to reality.  The boys are a big part of this as well.  They tickle her, help her pray like they did when she was a baby learning to talk.  They hold her drink for her, experiment making baby food for her and feed her until she spits at them and they all roll with laughter.  I remember one of the many hundreds of thoughts that pored through my mind while giving her CPR was that her brothers just couldn't live a life without her-she has to make it for them.  I see why now, they just adore her every move, her every sound, her every giggle and when she has a bad day, it's they who make her laugh another day.

Love to all,

Mardee 
 

2 comments:

Peggy Ennis Schmidt said...

Thank you, Mardee.

As I came to the computer this morning to work on genealogy, as is my custom, I clicked on facebook, first, and there was your blog.

I have been praying for Jaimee and your family since first learning of Jaimee's accident, through a post on facebook by one of Jeff's sisters, and invited my ward family to include her in their fasting prayers.

On the first Sunday of each month, the Relief Society Presidency gives the lesson in RS, and it's my turn this month. I had chosen a talk by Elder Neil A Maxwell: "Brim With Joy" (I LOVE his talks!)

As I read your blog this morning, I knew that I should share Jaimee's story with my ward sisters, as a supplement to Elder Maxwell's talk.

I enlarged the photo of Jaimee on Jeff's lap, with her brother cuddling Jeff on the other side - all laughing. I need to share that, as well. That photo speaks thousands of words.

God bless you and your family, Mardee. Your lives have touched many hearts and lives across the country, thanks to the miracle of facebook. I know you've felt the power of prayers of many, many people ... unseen and seen.

Love,
Peggy Ennis Schmidt
Mesa, AZ

Mary Lee (Collet) Smith said...

I am so thankful that your prayers are still being answered and that you received a wheelchair for Jaimee. I know she is aware of the difference in herself and is willing to work hard to change herself back to her previous self. She is working with the LORD to acheive this goal and not just sitting back for him to do the work. Such a wonderful girl. The boys are doing what the Lord requires of them in helping Jaimee to mend as well. Your family is receiving so many blessings from this tragedy.
Love Mary Lee