Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Nurses Week

I was asked to write a letter to the nursing staff at Northridge. I thought I would add it to this blog since they all enjoyed it so much. Happy Mother's Day and Nurses Week to all!

I never gave much thought to Nurses Week. I, like millions of others probably heard of it at one time or another or perhaps noticed it on a memo or from a 30 second news clip. I can honestly say I will never take for granted what this week means.
Simply said, to me, this honored week means my daughter is alive. Although Doctor Semnani might wonder why we aren’t celebrating Doctors Week then! =) (He knows exactly where he stands with us.)
This week represents not just careful attention to detail, stats and reports or dutifully administering medications or the quick changing of linens and garments, it represents the difference you make in the life of a family.
Our family has always believed in the importance of being an example of living an honorable life. If you make the difference in one life you have the potential to make the difference in many. The Nurses at Northridge Hospital have done just that.
All of you who took care of Jaimee didn’t just take care of her; you loved her. You didn’t just hope for her recovery; you prayed for it. You didn’t just treat her well; you treated her like she was your very own. You didn’t just do all that for Jaimee; you did it for all of us, her family- me, Jeff and our three boys, Nathan, Ben and J.D. The business and procedures of the hospital never interfered with your kindness and consideration for her or for our family. I never thought it possible but you actually made room 2219 our home-that and the nice patio outside, wink, wink! =)
In the morning hours you greeted us happily giving us hope for a new day, making sure we ate and took good care of ourselves. When the florescent lights dimmed at night and exhaustion set in you stayed up late working and talking with us and letting us just cry. You were strong and stalwart all throughout while we mourned what we may have lost, while we feared what could happen, you were there when we felt the sorrowful loss of little Matty next door, and rejoiced when Jaimee first smiled and recognized us. You were also there to say goodbye when we painfully had to leave, still unsure of the path that lay before us. You gave her gifts and visited her on your day off. You didn’t just do your job; you literally became a part of our little family. You opened those big white doors, took us in, and opened your arms and hearts to us. For all of that and more we love you, we love each and every one of you.
Born almost 189 years ago it was said of Florence Nightingale, “She is a ‘ministering angel’ without any exaggeration in these hospitals, and as her slender form glides quietly along each corridor, every poor fellow's face softens with gratitude at the sight of her. When all the medical officers have retired for the night and silence and darkness have settled down upon those miles of prostrate sick, she may be observed alone, with a little lamp in her hand, making her solitary rounds.
[8]
Like Florence, you are angels going from room to room, patient to patient softening the hearts and minds of every family. Thank you for all that you do both seen and unseen.

With love and gratitude,

Mardee, Jeff, J.D., Ben, Nathan, and Jaimee Jessop
5/7/09

4 comments:

Michelle Williams said...

Beautiful letter Mardee.
My friend told me recently about her own son's difficult recovery from a stroke when he was 2 years old. He regressed back to babyhood just like Jaimee. You would never know it now, he is in his 20's and a Marine! When I told my friend about Jaimee making the da, ba, ect. sounds, she was surprised that she was doing that so soon and said it was a very good sign! We continue to pray for her complete return to normal with every prayer, everyday. Love you!

Mardee Jessop said...

Thanks Michelle that is so encouraging. We see great signs every day and pray for more. Love you too.

Mardee

Becky L said...

Mardee, I just wanted to say that your thoughts are beautifully expressed and we pray for your family daily. We pray that the new day brings new accomplishments and joy in just being. You and Jeff are true examples of faith and hope and perserverence. Thank you for sharing your lives with us.
Love, Becky & Jeff

Charlie Jenna and Hunter said...

Hello, My name is Jenna Wood and my Husband and son saw your daughters picture and story in round table pizza here in Lancaster. I have a 20 month old son and your familys story really hit home. I was wondering if you would send me a list of things you and your family need for Jaimee. I am very skilled in getting corporations to donate and supply things that familys and children need. If you are interested in My help please contact me at akawoodswife@yahoo.com. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family Jaimee is such a cutie and what happened to her is awful. Please contact me at your convenience via email or phone 661-877-1399. The Wood family Jenna, Charlie & Hunter :) :)