Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Attitude



Daddy/Daughter Dance 2/6/2010


Happy New Year everyone! A little late seeing that it's already the first week of February but Happy New Year nonetheless. And Happy Valentine's Day to all this weekend! xxoo

A new year is always exciting. I admit I am one of those who likes to make resolutions, set a good 20 goals for myself, plan the first 3-6 months out, get my fresh new calendar ready with pen in hand. Sadly my new shinny calendar and my re-run resolutions don't always pan out the way I hoped. The success that I'm always looking for requires a little thing called a Positive Attitude. Well, you'd think after 39 years of life I wouldn't need to remind my self of that but that's just what I did after having a reality check with an oh-so-wonderful friend who will remain unknown. Our conversation wasn't all I needed; I decided I needed to have a 2 year old tantrum. If you could have only seen inside my head you would have witnessed all the kicking, screaming, and crying. Well as soon as I got all of THAT out of my system, I snapped out of it and had my attitude adjustment! Ahhhhhhh, it was nice; an excellent and necessary change for me. So now I am happy to say that I have been exercising 6/7 days per week for 5+ weeks, have given up sweets and have successfully shed 10 of the many pounds I put on last year. Still shed tears on occasion but no more panic attacks! 2009 is OVER and 2010 is DEFINITELY going to be my year!

How did I do it you might ask? Well, my attitude change occurred because I told myself that, "if my daughter can learn to walk and talk, jump and run again then I sure as heck can exercise 6 days a week!" So, once again Jaimee is my inspiration and my perspiration! Lately she is A LOT of perspiration! The amazing things she is doing now blows our minds. The better she gets gives me glimpses of all the energy she use to have. Lately she goes, goes, goes and isn't waiting for anyone. In fact, if you come to visit the house she will very excitedly grab your finger, pull you as hard and fast as she can down to her room to show off her kitchen toys and make you play with her. She has just started venturing off on her own out to the backyard always within view though but she is wanting to explore her world again. I watch her finding such joy in discovering everything all over again. A couple of days ago she went all the way to the back of the backyard (a long way if you've seen our yard), got off balance and fell a couple of times, brushed herself off and squealed with delight as she realized she was having a fun walk outside all on her own just enjoying life and the outdoors.

Her main growth over the last 1-2 months has been language and fine motor skills. She can say almost anything. She is speaking in conversational language. She can say almost anyone's name, she can repeat most anything you ask her to say and she can say things spontaneously that you didn't even know she could say which is a great indicator of how much her memory has come back and how rapidly those neurons are reconnecting. In fact, last week we were watching the movie Eragon which we haven't seen since before her injury and when we saw the shinny blue object I asked her to tell me what it was; she easily but slowly said, "drag-on egg". She knows what she is saying and what the subject matter is. She speaks a lot in syllables still but most words that were difficult for her last month are now pretty smooth she just speaks slowly and you have to be patient as she gets each word and syllable out. She even has tried saying Hippopotamus a couple of times! Yesterday she had an appointment at school for an assisted technology evaluation. She had been waiting 4 weeks for this appointment which she had with her speech therapist who almost cancelled the appointment because Jaimee is doing so well. Well during the appointment she got to sit in a chair that vibrates; she looked at her therapist and said while smiling pointing down at the chair "Try". Everyone was amazed at her level of understanding and new abilities to speak in such a short time. The panel gave no recommendations as she is doing just fine on her own!

As for the fine motor growth she has recently been using an adaptive spoon (bent at an angle to have more accurate hand/mouth movement) which has helped her to eat more independently. So much so that now that her eye/hand coordination is so much better she can eat some things with a regular spoon all on her own. She can try cutting things like a banana and she is getting better and better using a fork. She can pick up the tinniest objects like a sequin or use all her fingers picking up a card in a game. She is very much like she always was; gets upset if you help her with something or do it for her before she has the chance to try. You can add to the personality of a child but you can't take away the one they were born with!

JD, Ben and Nathan are all doing well in school. JD has the most going on now that he is a Youth. He turned 12 on November 25, received the Priesthood the following weekend, started passing the sacrament the first Sunday in December, has gone to the temple, is progressing nicely in scouts getting ready to get his second and first class ranks as a Boy Scout, goes camping and to firesides frequently and all and all is very well adjusted and takes his responsibilities as a young man seriously.

Ben is getting ready to receive his Bear Badge as a Cub Scout. He just had Blue and Gold dinner and last month out of 5 packs won the Pinewood Derby! It was very exciting and if I could figure out how to get more pictures on here to show you I would add one from that fun event-soon I hope.

Nathan has been learning so much and is having a great time learning to write and read a little. He loves playing with legos and Bionicles. He was sick the other day and his favorite movie is Cheaper by the Dozen. He watches it over and over again. It's hysterical! What 6 year old loves Cheaper by the Dozen that much! He also informed me a month ago that he wanted me to have another baby! LOL! Not gonna happen-that door is closed. :)

Jeff has passed his midlife crisis of having a beard since he, "couldn't afford a Porshe and a girlfriend would get me in trouble". His daughter asked him to shave it so he did for the Daddy/Daughter Dance. Jaimee was so excited about the whole thing it was hilarious. All week leading up to the dance we would mention what was coming up on Saturday and she would say, "dance party". She kept saying "Yay" every time we mentioned something about it and if you could hear her say "yay" it is the cutest thing you've ever heard. If you can believe it, Jeff was more excited than even she was; before we ever had a daughter he wanted a daughter to take to the Daddy/Daughter Dance. A dream fulfilled is a beautiful thing! They both had a wonderful time and I'll post all the pics on FB.




Jaimee does the LIMBO




Well, as you can see, "Life is Good", the slogan on my key-chain I bought while in the hospital with Jaimee, the unintended first step to speaking into existence a better attitude no matter what our circumstance. We have been blessed indeed. For those who want to pray with us: we continue to pray for Jaimee's hips to get more motion and nerve connection in them as that will help her in her walking the most right now. Lots of love and hugs to all!

Mardee








4 comments:

Wendy said...

I LOVE reading your updates, Mardee! Your little Jaimee is a miracle. Thanks for sharing how you're all doing. And tell Jeff he has great taste in cars! (Porsches are my favorite!) Take care, my friend.

Michelle Williams said...

Jaimee & Jeff look so adorable in these photos, it melts my heart! Thanks for the update on all of you. I loved reading of your attitude change, although I think you've been amazingly positive this whole time. Sometimes we all need a shake up though. So GO MARDEE! You and Jaimee inspire me!

Mary Lee (Collet) Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Lee (Collet) Smith said...

I love that you have gotten motivated to exercise because of Jaimee. I need someone like her here for me. LOL I understand how you can keep yourself together during a crisis and then when it is over and you can relax-instead you fall apart for a while. Be proud of yourself for recognizing that you needed someone to talk and cry with, and try to use them as a target to get angry at.
I always getting the warm fuzzies while reading about her accomplishments. It really demonstrates how unique a human being is. God really planned for a variety of ordeals for us to overcome and has given us so many of the tools and skills to do so.
We will keep on being proud of all the things each of your children achieve. Jeff and you are raising some pretty spectacular children. Congratulations, it is the toughest job in the world and you two are handling it with ease.
Love you all Mary Lee